07 February 2012

Meeting with the new doctor!

Yesterday we had our first actual meeting with my new doctor.  I say "my new doctor" because now I'm officially a patient!  Chad took off for the appointment time and was able to go with me while the boys stayed at home with my Dad, so we could have the freedom to discuss things and not have the distractions that kiddos naturally bring.

Now for the details:

The Dr. T was very nice and has an excellent manner.  He is equally matched with a wonderful office staff.  I had a very thorough first appointment and I'd say he was probably in with us for the better part of 45 minutes and it may have been an hour.  I don't think I've ever had a doctor spend that much time just discussing things, ever.

He was completely upfront about Trial of Labor (TOL) and the risks and the higher degree of risk that I have having had two previous c-sections.  He was also upfront about my chance of a successful VBA2C and the possibility that even if I do attempt TOL, I still have a chance that I won't have a vaginal delivery which has nothing to do with the risks that are associated but have much more to do that I have not had a successful delivery yet, am short in stature, and we have no way of knowing now other variables such as the baby's size.  He has one of the lowest c-section rate of any doctor in the area at 8%.  The national average is 32%.  For me he estimates that my risk of attempting a TOL and ending in a c-section, is about 20% because of my history.  So that is an 80% chance of success which is still quite high when compared to the national c-section rate.

In addition to explaining the risks and probabilities, he explained his policy on being present for the birth.  Unlike most doctors, he doesn't work with an on-call group and he is solely on-call 24-7 unless he has to be out of town.  If that is the case, the on-call doctor at the hospital will be the one in charge and if that is the case I won't have the opportunity to attempt a TOL.  However, in the last two years (I believe that was the time period) he has only missed the delivery of two of his patients which comes out to a less than 1% chance that he won't be able to make it to the hospital if I go into labor.  Seems to suck for him but is wonderful news if you are the patient!  His wife works alongside him and it seems that they are committed to women's health as a couple and understand the intricacies and insecurities that women have in these most vulnerable and delightful times in their lives.

Chad and I both have mixed feelings about TOL and we honestly have no idea if we will attempt it or not.  The risks, though pretty low, are still significant enough to give us pause.  As the doctor pointed out, we are under no pressure to make the decision now and have about 10 weeks of thought to put in.  There are lots of things that might influence our decision as we near the birth as well.  At this point, we cannot know the size of the baby, if she will drop and engage, how my cervix will prepare, etc.  There are lots of variables that can change the course and make the decision for us.  For now, even being able to make the choice is very empowering for me.  Even if we do end up choosing RCS (repeat c/s).  I didn't remotely have the choice with my previous doctor.  So that's where we are right now.  I'm just happy to have a doctor that is open to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment