02 February 2012

One step closer to VBAC!

Finally, after what has seemed like a month though it has been much less, I heard back from the prospective doctor today and he says my file looks good.  I have an appointment on Monday to meet with him.  I'm trying not to put too much hope in it all because I know that there is a chance that after our actual meeting that something might come up that might change the course.  I am really excited that I'm at least going to have the chance to meet with him and fully explore the process.  It's funny, having had two c-sections, I'm suddenly terrified of having to endure a c/s recovery again.  If I do end up having a c/s, the recovery is not something I'm looking forward to and I've had two very easy (by comparison) recoveries.

For those of you that are wondering, VBA2C (Vaginal birth after 2 c-sections) is a better option for some women than a repeat c/s.  There are lots of things that determine if a Trial of Labor is for you, such as the  cause of the initial c/s and the internal incision used.  For me, my first c/s was due to fetal distress caused by the cord being around Jude's neck.  My second c/s was a repeat because I had been unable to find a provider that would do a VBAC at the time.  All of the ones I had found either didn't practice at my hospital, weren't on my insurance, or had recently stopped performing VBACs because of pressure from the state's ubiquitous malpractice insurance provider (which made it's decision based in fear rather than statistical facts).  With Jude my water had broken and my body was doing everything that it was supposed to and I have good hopes that given the chance, I can deliver this baby without surgical intervention, though I'm obviously not opposed to it if it is medically necessary.

At my appointment with my regular doctor on Tuesday, she spoke highly of my prospective doctor and said he has a very high success rate.  She is just about as anxious as I am to hear what he thinks about my case.

I hope I have some good news to report on Monday! Until then, here is some facts from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists on VBAC in case anyone is curious.

ACOG Press Release

ACOG Patient Fact Sheet



No comments:

Post a Comment