28 July 2012
Ideologically frustrated
So. I am frustrated. Chad and I have distinctly different ideologies (in all of the major issues: religion, politics, and social issues) from our friends and families. I like to think of myself as a pretty tolerant person. Now don't get me wrong, when I was on facebook, I completely got sucked in to the soapbox status updates. I hate that about myself and that is one of many reasons I'm not planning on returning. It's unhealthy for me and for my friendships. But back to my mostly tolerant ways. . . not having any like-minded folks to vent and discuss these things with is so, so crushing. Of course, we know some people that have similar views and we do talk to them but nothing like having close friends to share these things with. And not having anyone open-minded to discuss these things with turns my tolerance sour. I begin to resent those folks that refuse to be civil or even the least bit open-minded to consider that our views might possibly be right or at least as right as the ones they adhere to. I know that a lot of my predicament mostly is a matter of geography and that I would likely feel less isolated if I were anywhere but here. But for now, here is where I am and I grow more frustrated by the day. It makes me resentful of those around me. How can they be so close-minded? Why do they refuse to try and see alternate world-views? I understand the ideals they hold dear so why can't they understand mine? Why must they be so intolerant that I can't even be honest with them about what I really think. [Sidenote: I was much more free with my thoughts on facebook, again, the dangerously abrasive me that took over.] They barely even know the superficial bits and already shun us. I just hate it so much. So ready to get out of this place and find at least a few semi-likeminded friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment