I've always been one to have headaches. Migraines, too. Never a big deal for me, just a part of life. A very annoying part of life but just something I live with. Being pregnant, I've gotten somewhat of a reprieve and they haven't been at the top of my list of annoyances for awhile now.
In the past few weeks, I've noticed Jude talking about his head hurting occasionally. This afternoon he started complaining of a headache, again. Chad and I have both had some trouble with sinus pressure and related headaches. His headache this afternoon sounded pretty typically related to that kind, as well. He described it like, "It hurts when I jump up but when I stop it all goes down". So I gave him some allergy medicine and hoped that was it. We had plans to meet with my Uncle and Aunt for Easter tonight so I was getting things around so we could go and planned to give the boys their bath before we went since it would be near or past their bedtime when we got home. Jude has become even more lethargic and has just sat in the same seat since I gave him the allergy medicine and he's still complaining about his head. I finally motivate him to come to the bathroom so I can give them a bath and he really just melts into a pile of tears on the floor. I decide to give him some ibuprofen still chalking it up to a sinus headache. He cries all through the bath and my mind starts to wonder what is going on with this kid. He has no fever. In the tub, he does complain that his throat hurts, too. Before he mentions his throat, while my mind is wondering, I start to fear horrible things. What if he is really in much more pain than I can tell? I mean he's started crying from the pain. How bad is this really? Headache pain isn't one of those things that is easily described, especially not for a 5 year old. What if we have thin vessels in our brains (this is actually something I plan to have an MRI for after this baby is born to see if I, and subsequently our children, have a genetic predisposition to thin vessels since both my Grandmother and Mom-- and I found out recently Paternal Grandfather-- died of aneurysms) and he is experiencing the extreme pain my Mom was due to a leak? I know this probably sounds absurd, but here is my five year old in tears over a headache and we are nearing the one year anniversary of the death of my mom from a headache. I got him dressed and told him he could lay down on our bed while I finished getting Lennon ready and fixed my own hair. At that point, I was still hoping this was just a sinus thing and that if he just rested for a few minutes and gave the medicine time to kick in he would be feeling better soon and that we could continue with our plans, since it was sinuses and nothing contagious and he would be feeling better. Well I was wrong, he got his shoes on and while in the kitchen he headed to the trashcan and threw up. So, of course, upon realizing this wasn't sinus related, I changed his clothes and put him to bed. Oddly, him being upset at his stomach put my mind at ease because he said his stomach actually hurt, too, which relieved my fears that I knew were irrational, that it could be something much worse.
After about 30 minutes of laying down he was up and much better and was for the rest of the evening until right at bedtime when it started with a headache again and then he got sick right before bed. He still doesn't have a fever so I don't know what he's got but I hope that he's feeling better by tomorrow!
And through all of this, I learned that I'm a neurotic mess.
No comments:
Post a Comment