08 March 2012

The unexpected

I had to have my labs redrawn Tuesday because they didn't make the transfer with my patient file for some reason.  Some surprising curve-ball results came back and I had to have more blood taken yesterday.  Right now I'm waiting on the doctor to call me back with yesterday's results.  Depending on what the results show, there is a potential of danger for the baby.  I know very little right now other than what they were testing for and a minimal amount that I was able to learn from the internet.  I wasn't able to find much scholarly information on the internet, mostly just stuff from mother/baby forums like Babycenter so any information I do have is only minimally credible.  I hope to have more information soon.  Until then, I'm really kind of freaking out.  Thoughts, good vibes, and prayers are appreciated.

ETA:   I called before they closed today and she told me the doctor hadn't had a chance to look the results yet and that I should hear something either tonight or in the morning. Well the office has been closed a few hours now and I still haven't heard anything.  I guess we'll have to wait for the results until tomorrow.  What is one more night of shoddy sleep? Sigh.

Right now, I know that I have a certain antibody present in my blood but I don't know the titer or concentration (the initial blood work was general and didn't measure the titer but the second round was looking for other antibodies which can present together and the titers of each of them). The results will tell us exactly how serious of a thing we are going to have to deal with.  At this point it could really be inconsequential for this pregnancy but something that would affect subsequent pregnancies or it could be something that might require a stay in the NICU, intensive time under the bili lights, and even a blood transfusion for Em.  So ready to know where on this spectrum we are and to receive some non-internet based information!        

No comments:

Post a Comment